Looking for some fun summer family activities? Since both my husband and I work full-time outside the home, we plan all of the bigger summer events first and then work in the other activities as we can.
We don’t really make a bucket list, but wanted to come up with some options ahead of time so that we wouldn’t be scrambling for things to do later.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click & buy or sign up for a service through my link, I will receive a small compensation at no additional cost to you.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See my Disclosure page for details.
Plan Out Your Options
It’s really helpful to have a list of ideas at the ready for planning, or for those days when your plans are thrown off by the sweltering heat (Texas, I’m talking about you!), or random rain (yeah, that could still be Texas, lol!). And since we live in a small town, there’s not a lot to do that’s close by.
This can also be a great answer to those moments when kids say they’re “So bored!”- have them find something on the list they can do with what you have at the house, or ask them to plan the next couple of weeks out with a few of the activities. Or add some of these ideas to your current summer bucket list.
Download the free printable with 75 fun summer family activities- the first 25 are listed below!
25 of 75 Summer Family Fun Ideas
1. Have a movie marathon at home.
2. Join a library reading club, or create your own family reading club.
3. Play card games
4. Play dominoes.
5. Make origami.
6. Create your own board game by mixing up pieces of games you already have.
7. Do Mad Libs.
8. Make a stop-motion movie with LEGOs, clay, or even construction paper cut-outs.
9. Have a different dinner- ice cream bar, breakfast, charcuterie board or a buffet with leftovers.
10. Send postcards/giant DIY cards/letters to family or friends.
11. Write a story and make it into a book.
12. Draw your own comic book.
13. Learn a magic trick or two and put on a show!
Want some help planning your summer? Check out our printable 35 page Summer Activity Planner in the shop & get your summer organized for fun & learning!
14. Play word games. Our favorite one works like this: the first person says a word, then the next person has to use the last letter of that word for their word.
15. Do a science experiment.
16. Complete a jigsaw puzzle.
17. Do volunteer work.
18. Play charades.
19. DIY indoor bowling. Use plastic chip cans, baby food snack containers, or even empty paper towel rolls for the pins!
20. Keep a journal of family activities.
21. Make a paper chain or dolls, or paper snowflakes!
22. Draw portraits or silhouettes of each other.
23. Make shadow or sock puppets and put on a show!
24. Bake cookies and make ice cream sandwiches.
25. Jump on the bed!
For more ideas, sign up below for a FREE download of the complete list of fun Summer Family Activities!
By signing up, you’ll also get our updates and the monthly FREE PRINTABLES I send out in our newsletter!
What are some of your family’s favorite activities to do during the summer? What’s on your summer bucket list?