Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links and we may earn compensation when you click on the links, make a purchase via these links, or sign up for a service, at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See our Disclosure page for additional information.
Summer break is right around the corner and we’re on the lookout for things to do! Since both my husband and I work full-time outside the home, we plan all of the bigger summer events first and then work in the other activities as we can.
We don’t really make a bucket list, but wanted to come up with some options ahead of time so that we wouldn’t be scrambling for things to do later.
Plan Out Your Options
It’s really helpful to have a list of ideas at the ready for planning, or for those days when your plans are thrown off by the sweltering heat (Texas, I’m talking about you!) or random rain (yeah, that could still be Texas, lol!). And since we live in a small town, there’s not a lot to do that’s close by.
This can also be a great answer to those “I’m bored!” moments- have the kids find something they can do on the list with what you have at the house, or ask them to plan the next couple of weeks out with a few of the activities. Or they can add some of these ideas to your current bucket list.
Here’s a free printable with 75 family fun ideas for summer- the first 25 are listed below!
25 of 75 Summer Family Fun Ideas
1. Have a movie marathon at home.
2. Join a library reading club, or create your own family reading club.
3. Play card games
4. Play dominoes.
5. Make origami.
6. Create your own board game by mixing up pieces of games you already have.
7. Do Mad Libs.
8. Make a stop-motion movie with LEGOs, clay, or even construction paper cut-outs.
9. Have a different dinner- ice cream bar, breakfast, charcuterie board or a buffet with leftovers.
10. Send postcards/giant DIY cards/letters to family or friends.
11. Write a story and make it into a book.
12. Draw your own comic book.
13. Learn a magic trick or two and put on a show!
14. Play word games. Our favorite one works like this: the first person says a word, then the next person has to use the last letter of that word for their word.
15. Do a science experiment.
16. Complete a jigsaw puzzle.
17. Do volunteer work.
18. Play charades.
19. DIY indoor bowling. Use plastic chip cans, baby food snack containers, or even empty paper towel rolls for the pins!
20. Keep a journal of family activities.
21. Make a paper chain or dolls, or paper snowflakes!
22. Draw portraits or silhouettes of each other.
23. Make shadow or sock puppets and put on a show!
24. Bake cookies and make ice cream sandwiches.
25. Jump on the bed!
For more fun, download the complete list. You can get it in our FREE Subscriber Resource Library, just sign up below!
By signing up, you’ll also be getting access to our growing Subscriber Resource Library and will receive updates when we post new content.
What are some of your family’s favorite things to do during the summer? What’s on your summer bucket list?